Bergamo: Citta' Alta

Bergamo: Citta' Alta
Bergamo is located in the north of Italy, precisely in Lombardy, about 40 kilometers north-east of Milan.
The city is divided into two parts: high and low.
Upper Town is famous for its medieval style, the narrow cobbled streets and admired its beautiful views from its walls.
Lower Town is the modern part of Bergamo, where life is more vibrant, peaceful and joyful than the Upper Town.
Piazza Vecchia (Old Town Square) is the city's symbol.
Formed as early as 300, reaches its present form during the Venetian domination.
On the southern side of the square is dominated by the Palazzo della Ragione, a symbol of the communal, on the right stands the civic tower (XII - XV), otherwise known as "the bell" that with the tolling of 22.00 percent today mark the passing of the hours and a time reminiscent of the closing of the entrance gates to the city and ranks the ancient Domus Suardorum (XIV - XV), now the University of Bergamo. [...]


Bergamo: Piazza Vecchia
The northern side of the square is closed by a seventeenth-century building with white marble facade. Built as the town hall, the building now houses the Municipal Library "A.Mai" which has about half a million volumes and a precious Tasso Collection.
Complete the spectacular Piazza del Podesta' elegant fountain gift Venetian Alvise Contarini (XVIII).
Behind the Palazzo della Ragione, opens the Piazzetta del Duomo overlooked monuments of great importance.
The Duomo, born from a project of Filarete, was amended several times over the centuries.
The interior decoration was completed only at the end of 1800.
Fine chapel of the Crucifix, which preserves a crucifix of 1500, and the apse where they are placed seven large paintings, including The Martyrdom of St. John Episcopo GB Tiepolo.
Piazzetta del Duomo on a porch with polychrome marble lions, by Giovanni da Campione, reports access to the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (XII).
Inside precious tapestries, a baroque confessional by Andrea Fantoni, the tomb of Gaetano Donizetti and his teacher Simon Mayr.
Of great value are the iconostasis and intarsia choir performed in 1500 drawings by Lorenzo Lotto by GF Capoferri and John Belli.
Next to the Basilica is the Colleoni Chapel (XV).
Bergamo: church
Made and designed by GB Amadeo the chapel is the mausoleum of the famous commander Bartolomeo Colleoni.
The polychrome marble facade connects to the vestibule of the basilica and the rich decoration, and see the adventurous life of the leader, is a magnificent example of Lombard Renaissance.
To the side of the Colleoni Chapel staircase leading to the entrance of the Diocesan.
Across the Aula of the Curia, an environment richly frescoed (XI- XII), leads to a courtyard in the center of which lies the shrine of St. Cross built around the XI century and remodeled in the 1500.
Last building to adorn the Piazzetta del Duomo is the Baptistery.
Built in 1340 by G. Champion as a baptismal font for the basilica was, after various vicissitudes, rebuilt in the place where it is now.
The interior has interesting reliefs depicting the life of Christ.
The baptismal font and the statue of St. John the Baptist are G. Champion.

The walls of the Upper City (Citta' Alta), existing already in Roman times, documented in the eighth century, were rebuilt during the Middle Ages and repeatedly reworked and changed.
Funicular in Bergamo
Of the Roman walls have been some traces still visible today in way vaginas, under the convent of S. Grate and left of the avenue to the west of the Walls of the route of the funicular (former way of Anditi) .
At the beginning of 1500, the walls were in extreme decadence.
In 1556 the Senate of the Republic of Venice, which for over a century held the political and territorial domination of Bergamo, he decided to proceed with the complete reconstruction of the city fortification of the city.
The political objective of the Venetians was to strengthen the border of their territory to the mainland of Bergamo which constituted the eastern end and the nearest garrison all'avversato Spanish Empire. Occupied in the struggle against the Turks on the opposite side, Venice manifested in this way its intent not to expand further in Lombardy.
Abandoned an initial project of reconstruction and partial reworking of the medieval walls, for which consultants were also Watches and Malacrida and that led in 1561 to the creation of the Fort of St. Mark and five new ramparts, the Serenissima determined to build a stone fortification bastion continues.
The walls in Citta' Alta
For the edification of the city were demolished more than 250 individual buildings and altered in their natural appearance some areas of the Upper Town (Citta' Alta).
The demolitions were necessary to save construction costs, shorten lead times and in some places, due to the lack of possible alternative solutions.
They went so lost important works and early Christian monuments such as the Cathedral of St. Alexander along with 80 houses in Borgo Canale, the churches of St. Lorenzo, with 59 houses in the village of the same name, S. James, S. Peter S. Stefano with the monastery (transferred in 1571 in the present monastery of St. Bartholomew in Lower Town), SS. Barnabas and Lorenzino near the port of St. James and the drain of the Roman time.
In 1574 the houses of Bergamo were 445 corresponding to about half of those that existed before the construction of the walls the perimeter of which was completed in 1588 under the leadership of general Sforza Pallavicini.
The walls, which are one of the most important fortresses built by Venice on the mainland, were never used for military actions despite being the result of defense concepts to avant-garde for its time.
Bergamo: Citta Alta view
Leave it for civilian use to start from the last century were demilitarized and around them was realized inside the avenue, shaded by chestnut and plane trees, and it was provided to the abolition of the embankments and the reduction in green area of the areas above the battlements and ramparts.
Below the walls were consolidated agricultural and horticultural activities, existing environment that still give a unique scenic beauty.
The , now partly owned by the city and partly state-owned, were cleared in full and partly restored in 1976 on the initiative of the Company Autonomous Living and some parts also in 1984.
The visit to the basement and the gunboats of the walls is only possible by prior arrangement, to the accompaniment of the experts of the Speleological Group "The Nottole" (tel. 035 251 233 ).

No comments:

Post a Comment